About Michel Thomas German Lessons.
In case you are an audible learner who wants to learn German, Michel Thomas audio lessons can be a great choice course for you. This course is structured in a way that learners would not need to try to memorize vocabulary too hard or learn complicated grammar rules. All this is achieved by introducing learners to a new language in very small steps and providing ideas how to remember some vocabulary easier.
The other thing that makes Michel Thomas lessons different from courses like Pimsleur is the fact that there are two students present in the recordings. Both of these students are complete beginners at German so they are basically learning this language together with you, which is quite similar to classroom situation.
One thing that is similar in both Michel Thomas and Pimsleur audio lessons is that you are being constantly asked to say certain phrases in German from the material that you are learning. This is very effective way to study a new language since you are forced to think in German from the first lesson.
What Courses Are Available?
When it comes to German language there are a total of four different courses offered by Michel Thomas. The first course is Start and it includes only one hour of recorded material. This part is mostly aimed at learners who want to test this course and see how it works.
The second course from Michel Thomas is called Total and it includes about 12 hours of recorded material. In addition to that there is a visual review of the course as well as a few hours of vocabulary help. This particular course is suitable for complete beginners who want to learn how to speak in German confidently by learning the most essential vocabulary.
When you will complete this course you should consider Michel Thomas Perfect course. It is aimed at people who already finished Total part and it includes 9 hours of recorded material, 3 hours of vocabulary help as well as visual review of a course. By finishing this part you will learn more vocabulary, understand German verb system and more.
The last course of Michel Thomas for German learners is called Masterclass. It includes additional two hours of recorded material and it is aimed at learners wh0 already completed Total and Perfect courses.
It is also worthwhile to mention that both Total and Perfect parts of this course come with a computer program. This program will allow you to study visually since it includes a couple exercises that cover material that you have learned in audio lessons.
What Do Consumer Reviews Say?
If you will spend time searching for consumer testimonials of Michel Thomas German course, you will find mostly positive ones. Most users of this course compliments it, because instructor of this course points out similarities of German and English languages, stresses out proper pronunciation and highlights key points of this language.
On the other hand other users complain that it is too expensive or that it teaches too little vocabulary in each lesson. Read a few actual consumer reviews of Michel Thomas German course bellow.
For more consumer reviews of Michel Thomas German course visit Amazon page here.
The Main Pros and Cons.
The Main Pros.
- These audio lessons does a great job at explaining key points of German language, how to construct sentences and etc. Due to this this course will be useful even when you will learn additional vocabulary from other sources;
- Since these lessons constantly prompt you to say phrases or sentences you are forced to think in German from the first lesson, which makes learning more efficient;
- Since this course is mostly audio based you will be able to learn most of the material while on the go. So it is a huge plus for people who are busy and can’t spend much additional time for learning German. Furthermore there is an app available too, so you can also learn via your phone;
- Newer versions of this course now also includes computer program, so that learners would be able to practice what they have learned from audio lessons visually;
- The phase of the course is quite normal and explanations are clear so you will not need to go through the same lessons many times;
- Due to the fact that there are two German students in these recordings, they quite commonly ask questions that you might also have.
The Main Cons.
- One of the biggest minuses of this course is that speakers in these audios are not native and also students quite often make mistakes so you will not be learning how to pronounce words correctly all the time;
- If one of your aims is to learn German grammar properly you will need additional material. While there is a few grammar concepts introduced in these audios it is certainly not enough to fully learn grammar;
- Learners who tend to learn fast might find two students in the recordings annoying since they slow down learning phase;
- There is no content provided for German culture, which can be seen as a drawback by some learners;
- Since there is quite a lot of explanations in English you might find too little German in these recordings to fully immerse into this language;
- The list of vocabulary that you can learn from these audios is very limited. You can learn way more words from courses like Rosetta Stone or Rocket Languages;
- Considering the fact that it is mostly audio based course without much additional material it can be said that it is a bit overpriced. You would need to spend more than $300 in order to buy all three parts of Michel Thomas course;
Summary of a Review.
To conclude this review it can be said Michel Thomas course for learning German has a lot of benefits and some drawbacks. It is a great choice course for audible learners who want to better understand German language structure and learn some conversation phrases. Mostly audio based format of this course makes it possible to study on the go, which ideal for busy German learners. Since Michel Thomas lessons features a few students in the recordings, these audios are not too repetitive and they are quite engaging to follow in general. Also for German language in particular there are even up to 3 parts of this course available (Total, Perfect and Masterclass) so it can be suitable for beginners and more advanced learners.
One of the main drawbacks of Michel Thomas course is that these lessons don’t feature native German speakers. This can be seen as a large disadvantage by learners who want to learn proper pronunciation and good accent. Some other disadvantages of this course are high price and little visual studying content.
In case you are more of a visual learner or you need to learn all aspects of German including writing and grammar, courses like Rocket or Fluenz might be better choice for you. Want to know more about available online programs for learning German? Then you should read this detailed review article of TOP German Language courses online.
Where to Buy Michel Thomas German Courses?
If you already decided to purchase Michel Thomas course for learning German, you can find it on websites like iTunes, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and etc. Since prices are usually the same on these mentioned sites, there is no difference from where to buy it.
At the moment the price for both Total and Perfect version of this course is each $130 on Amazon. Masterclass edition is slightly cheaper and you can get it for $75 or less. In case you are still unsure whether this is the right course for you, you can purchase Michel Thomas Essential, which contains one hour lesson and it is only priced at $14.95.