About Fluenz German Course.
Fluenz is still quite a new course for learning foreign languages; however it offers quite different learning approach to other programs, which more and more people seem to rate well. Due to the fact that it is still relatively new course there are courses available only for more popular languages like French, Mandarin, Spanish and others. The main three principles of Fluenz teaching approach is that adults need to learn new languages with explanations in English language, they should learn the most relevant words in the beginning and also there is no substitution for a teacher, therefore in each lesson you will be guided step by step by a tutor.
How does Fluenz German software work?
A usual lesson by Fluenz starts with a short introduction to the topic by Sonia Gill. After that you will hear a short dialogue between native German speakers. You should try to listen to the dialogue at least a few times. Since there is an option to turn on subtitles along with the dialogues, it is a good idea to listen to it one time with them and then without them. When you complete the dialogues you will get an explanation from your video tutor about each part of the conversation that you just heard. After this you move on to various workouts that will help you practice what you have learned in the lesson. There are quite a lot of them and many of them require you to write the words and phrases, so be prepared to type a lot. After you will finish exercises you will get a final comment from your tutor.
There are a total of 5 levels available for German language, which is the most that Fluenz offers for foreign languages at the moment. Each level includes 30 sessions, so there are a total of 150 sessions in all parts. You can expect to complete a single lesson in about 2 hours. In addition to lessons there are three other bonuses. The first one is an audio CD, which is included along with each part to complement material included in the sessions. This is very convenient way to study when you can’t spend time near your computer and can help you improve your listening and speaking skills. The second bonus is The Fluenz Navigator, which is a small book with most essential words and phrases that you can carry everywhere you go.
What do other people reviews say?
It can be said that consumer reviews of Fluenz German course are mostly positive. One of the most common complains you can find about Fluenz is that it is expensive or oriented for travelers mostly. Read a few reviews from users of Fluenz German course bellow.
If you want to read more reviews of Fluenz German, you can visit Amazon site and you will find plenty of them there.
Review of the Main Pros and Cons.
Bellow there is a list of positive and negative points about this course. Although it is based on my experience, so other people might agree or not with some of them.
- Fluenz offers five parts for learners of German, so you can achieve more advanced level with this language. And people who are already familiar with German can go to 3-5 parts directly;
- Explanations provided in each lesson of this program help to understand grammar and language structure much easier;
- Fluenz allows you to choose subtitles for dialogues either in English, German or no subtitles. This is very convenient feature since you can choose subtitles in the beginning and once you get familiar with the lessons simply turn it off;
- Although you will need to spend time on your computer to learn with this course, additional bonuses like audio CD’s and podcasts will allow you to also learn German on the go;
- Fluenz is a good course to learn essential German traveling phrases and vocabulary fast. So if you are planning a trip to Germany or other country speaking this language you will definitely benefit from this course;
- Instructor of this program sometimes provides learners with cultural notes at the end of the lesson, which is quite useful if you want to know more about German people and their traditions;
- The software is designed so that it would be relatively easy and intuitive to use.
- Workouts after each lesson help to learn new material much better and also they are quite interactive so you will not get bored so easily.
- Fluenz doesn’t include many social aspects in the course where you could interact with other learners or a teacher. Other courses like Rosetta Stone has live sessions with a tutor and games, where you can communicate with other learners;
- Even though there are a total of five levels (150 sessions) of this course, the amount of vocabulary you can learn in each part of Fluenz is quite limited;
- People who want total immersion into German language might find too much English in this software. Even though explanations are definitely a lot needed component there could be less time spend on introductions and closings, which are in English;
- In case you are studying German for other purposes than traveling, this course might be too tourist oriented for you; however this is issue is the same for almost all online courses;
- It would be great if this program would include some written material on grammar (at least for my learning style). The problem is that when you finish a lot of lessons it becomes quite difficult to find in which video something was explained;
- It can be said that Fluenz is one of the most expensive courses for learning German. The price ranges from $398 to $677, depending on the current discount.
Summary of a review.
To conclude this review it can be said that despite some small drawbacks, Fluenz can be one of the best choices for learning German for both beginners and a bit more advanced learners. Explanations provided in each lesson on grammar, language structure makes learning German much easier and less frustrating. So if you have a budget for studying and are looking for a quality course this might be one of the best courses for you.
Where to buy Fluenz Portuguese?
The pricing of this course differs based on how many levels you will buy at once. It is more cost efficient to buy all 5 levels at once, which is priced $398 on Amazon. In case you would buy only one level it is priced at $177. So it is way more expensive if you intend to buy other parts later. This course can be purchased from Amazon and official Fluenz site and usually there is no difference between the prices. In case you want to try this program there is a free demo version available at the official Fluenz website.
If you are interested in learning more about online courses for studying German you should read this article. It lists 5 other popular online programs for learning this language and points out their main advantages and disadvantages.